Travel: Life in a Postcard: Oahu, Hawai'i


The hardest part about writing a Hawai'i trip blog is choosing which pictures to include. Being in Hawai'i is like living in a postcard. The Island constantly reminds you of its beauty. I went to Oahu for the first time in 2009 for the International Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses. Hawaii is as beautiful as I remembered! Even the storms could best be described as picturesque.


 Romans 1:20 ; For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.


I stayed in two different apartments while I was there. Both were cute and just what I needed. The first was very close to the Kingdom Hall I was attending while there. I went to meetings in English and in the ministry with the Thai group which is hosted by the Palolo Congregation. This apartment was conveniently centrally located. I was under two miles from the beach and not far from a few grocery stores and literally up the hill from the Kingdom Hall. The second place I stayed was two blocks from Waikiki Beach. If you know me you know how I feel about touristy areas, alas, it was a great area and at $50/night I could not pass it up.

A couple who are Jehovah's Witnesses lived above me in the first apartment and were my landlords during the initial part of my stay.  So convenient and I was grateful to have my own place but not be completely alone for the first week. (This was my first trip where I didn't have a travel companion, but I was reconnecting with a friend I had made at the 2009 convention and kept in touch with all this time.) At the bottom of the steep hill I lived on was Waialae Avenue, a street packed with restaurants, a goodwill and some convenience/grocery stores. What are the chances there were three completely plant based restaurants on that street along with quite a few restaurants with vegan friendly banners outside?


My first Shaved Ice of the trip
Wait! So, I forgot to mention my purpose in going to Oahu. I was reconnecting with the friend I made in 2009 and supporting the Thai group while there. My friend is now a missionary with her hubby in Thailand, but they came home to Oahu to visit. The first Saturday I was in Hawaii was my first day working with the Thai group in the ministry work. We had a long lovely day with a break for Hawaiian shaved ice at a popular dive called Shimazu and later on a salad at a place called Sprouts Sandwich Shop. Yum.com! 

Along with the undeniable beauty of the Island comes a hard dose of reality. There are the same problems in the "paradise" that we face elsewhere including: higher than normal homelessness, ineffectual government, poverty, racism, disillusionment and pollution. The people there need the benefits of God's Kingdom as much as anywhere else. 

Speaking of pollution... I was advised against getting in the water on the side of the island I was staying because after storms the water is heavily polluted. And throughout the stay I was warned against Vog. It looks like fog, but it is volcanic smog and causes breathing problems in young and old.

A view of the vog
Another view of vog from a higher altitude

And since I believe we should learn something about ourselves or the universe on every trip here are some lists:

Things I already knew, but had reaffirmed in Hawai'i:
  • Seeing Romans 1:20 exhibited gives me lovely heart palpitations
  • Climbing steep streets in the heat gives me (scary) heart palpatations
  • Hawai'in shaved ice is the best 
  • I have amazing friends thanks to Jehovah
  • I'm a foodie
  • I love working with foreign language groups

Things I learned on this trip to Hawai'i:
  • I love sea asparagus
  • I am able to travel alone. It helps to be meeting a friend, but I am convinced I can go somewhere solo and not seclude myself as I was afraid would be my tendency.
  • Acai bowls are delicious
  • Vog is beautiful to look upon, but it's danger matches its beauty
  • Sunscreen is my friend
  • Honey from Hawai'i is superior (sorry everyone else who produces honey, but it's the macadamia nut flowers and the soil)

The view from the hill I lived on

One of many sweet, cold treats
A strawberry Popsicle from 7-11

Mililani Assembly Hall

One of the coves

Fried tofu with sea asparagus and chili flakes

Acai bowl to go
da Cove Health Bar in Kapolei

Brunch from Vegan Hills
Pancake, roasted potato, bacon, tofu scramble, salad

Lunch from Vegan Hills
Avocado Sandwich, roasted rosemary Parmesan potatoes and an orange shake

unique pink condominium

Convention Center where our convention was in 2009
#Nostalgia

Karaoke Night

Karaoke Spot
Hawaii Voice KTV & Lounge

My love affair with P.F. Changs started in Hawaii,
so I had to eat lunch there at least once

I need a Pressed Juicery to open in Pittsburgh

Waiola Shaved Ice was featured in Hawaii 5-0
I stopped there on the way to the airport
My last Shaved Ice

A delicious lunch on the plane that a new friend made for me
She was sweet enough to pick me up, get me shaved ice and made lunch on top of it
#bestfriendsever #bestlifeever

Snacks on a layover in Los Angeles

The final leg home featured the most ratchet plane ever

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love boxes of Stuff!

:Re:laxation Tools

When in Rome....