Gluten Free (Baked) Fried Green Tomatoes


Even though these were baked
I still can't help calling them fried green tomatoes.

The name is ubiquitous with the feelings they evoke.

Long summer days,
 big "I dont have anywhere to go" breakfasts with my family,
'accidentally' picking all the big green tomatoes while helping
my mother harvest from our backyard garden,
the feeling of accomplishmentseeing seeds and seedlings become a meal
 for my family and a gift for friends.
How could I not love these little beauties?

I had just a remnant of my special flours left and wanted to put them to
good use. So, I killed two birds with one stone
(no i didn't! that is sooo violent)
and used the flours to make something I'd been craving since the
first green tomato poked itself out of the tomato plant in the backyard.

And yes I do realize that one of the green tomatoes is red.
I do not discriminate! 
I feel that all tomatoes are created equal(ly delicious).

Plus it looked a little lonely after I picked his friends off
and i feel that friendship is very important.

Baked Fried Green Tomatoes

4 tomatoes, sliced

1/2 cup regular almond milk

3 T Garbanzo Bean Flour
1 T sweet rice flour
1/2 t sea salt

Preheat oven to 400.
Put foil on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil or cooking spray.

Put the milk in a bowl.
Mix the dry ingredients on a plate.

Dip slices of tomatoe in milk and then flour one at a time
until all are coated and placed on baking sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes flipping at the 10 minute mark.

In other news....


Went to Pittsburgh Popcorn Co. in the Strip District.
Suddenly noticed what awesome ceilings this place has.
The decor is not exacly cohesive but interesting all the same.

They have a new edition since the last time I was in there.
A television set.
Strange but appropriate since it was playing an old black
and white comedy. Entertainment while waiting in line.

There is usually a line on weekends. They are just that good.
Or so I hear. They are not exactly allergen friendly.

Flavors like Vanilla Almond, Hazelnut Nutella,  S'mores, Spicy Bacon Cheddar, Chocolate Waffle Cone, SW Cheddar, Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper, Rice Crispy Treat, Buffalo Wing, Dill Pickle, Zebra Kettle, The Cajun, Garlic Parmesan.

Just to name a few. ;-)



Quinoa Salad

Chopped cherry tomatoes
Sliced Cucumber
Artichokes
Gabanzoes
Fresh cilantro
Quinoa!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love boxes of Stuff!

:Re:laxation Tools

Do you ever Treat Yourself?